Outdoor Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Outdoor Forums   » Hunting Forums   » Upland / Small Game   » best overall caliber

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: best overall caliber
life157
Member # 14748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for life157     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wat is the best overall caliber from coyote all the way to grizzlies....i have 5 calibers but please give me reasons y.

1.30-06 springfield
2.300 win mag
3.300 wsm
4.300 remington ultra mag

but if u have any other calibers please let me know what is the best overall caliber

FloridaHunter
Member # 10128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FloridaHunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go with my rem. .280. I know many people will disagree, but its not overkill for light animals and it will put the big ones down. The caliber is only half the equation though. Bullet weight and shooter also have to be added into the equation. Conditions too, it could be all close shots, or all long distance. But if I had to pick just one gun, I'd go for my .280.
RemMan
Member # 14611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RemMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you get a .300 ultra mag you can buy the remington Power Level ammunition. Level 1 is the power of a .30-06, Level 2 is the power level of a regular .300 win mag, and Level 3 is the .300 ultra mag power level. It is just .300 Ultra mag with less powder. Or you could just reload your own .300 ultra mag rounds with less powder to do the same thing.
bluegillbob
Member # 5475

Icon 7 posted      Profile for bluegillbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Life,

Since you included grizzlies, I'd go with something heavier...namely a .338 Win mag.

A .338 has more horsepower with heavier bullets over the others...a plus in grizzly country!

Cheers,

Robert

--------------------
Robert

Haiku_Rodney
Member # 11983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haiku_Rodney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty tough question to answer. Much depends on what criteria you use to measure "best". It terms of energy and velocity it is the 300 Remington Ultra Mag. For me, the "best" is probably the 30-06. I know I can shoot the 30-06 quite accurately. I know its ballistics well enough to know where the bullet will strike at various yardages. Additionally, I know I am recoil shy. I have no problem shooting the '06. I do not care for the recoil of the 300 win mag so definitely would not do well with the Ultra Mag.
nicholas bod
Member # 14135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nicholas bod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I could do it all again,Like Florida Hunter mentioned, I would probably get a 280 rem and be done with it.For life,157.
Posts: 1504 | From: Southwestern Ontario Canada.  |  IP: Logged
Panfisher
Member # 2803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Panfisher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you reall like the .308 Cals. Why all .308? If for some reason I had to pick one of those listed for everything, I would take the 300 Win Mag, why, just cause I always wanted one and have a soft spot for rounds that don't have Winchester Short Mag in the name. If I were reduced to only having one caliber to hunt with, well I guess I would quit hunting for a while and get a second job so I could buy more rifles / calibers so I wouldn't have to coyote hunt with my elk rifle, or shoot deer with my varmit rifle.

Here is a time waster for ya, get a pencil and piece of paper and make a list of 4 category each can have only 4 entries, categories are. Centerfire Rifle, Shotgun, Rimfire, and Handgun. Now make a list of 4 for each of the categories and that would be the ONLY firearms you would have to hunt whatever and wherever you wanted to for the rest of your life. My lists vary somewhat depending on my moods, sometimes I think I might like to have a matched pair of Beretta Silverhawks in 12 & 20 ga. then I think man I would hate to drag those beauties through the brians and thorns on a quail hunt so I decide on a Rem 1100 or 11-87 12 ga. and a Rem LT-20 1100. Other times I think I would like to have a Marlin 45-70, then I wonder just how often I would actually use it. My centerfire rifle list usually ends up something like. Rem 700 LVS in .22-250, Rem 7 in 7mm-08, Rem 700 SS in .300 Win Mag, and Rem 700 in .338 Win Mag. Obviously I like Rem's but could be just as happy if they said Ruger on them or Win, or perish the thought Savage as long as they perform. Just as obviously I am VERY bored this morning. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Take a kid with you.

nicholas bod
Member # 14135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nicholas bod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend told me years ago to buy all three mm's -6mm 7mm 8mm.(or a near variable to each one)A caliber for everything you can imagine!But I'd still take a 7mm(280rem) and run like he77 to the hills.
RemMan
Member # 14611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RemMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the real question is this: What are the chances you will go hunting for anything larger then deer or hog?

I would say that most hunters would like to go elk, moose, and bear hunting but never get the chance to do so (I sure would like to! [Frown] ). If you get a rifle that is larger then a .30-06 and never go hunting for large game you would be wasting money on the higher cost of magnum ammunition. Plus the majority of hunters never have to shoot long distances to justify a magnum caliber. I live in Texas and we have a lot of open land and I have never shot a deer over 35 yrds. I dont even hunt over feeders. The 30-06 has enough foot lbs of energy to cleanly kill a deer at 400-500 yrds. That is a long way. At 200 yrds you've got about 2200-2300 ft lbs of energy. I have a feeling that would put down an elk. I would spend the money on a really nice rifle in .30-06 or smaller.

You are not alone.. Trying to decide on what gun to get is very frustrating [Mad] .. But fun!

model70man
Member # 5264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for model70man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
12 gauge
MG.
Member # 15375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MG.         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a new convert to the 30-06. With its performance in many different catagories from light magnums to controlled recoil loads and price you can't go wrong! It's the 3A's of shooting-accurate,affective and acquired easily. There's a reason why its no. 1 in reloading and hunting sales.
wigeonmeister
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wigeonmeister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to argue against a .30-06, but my favorite is the .300 WSM and that's what I keep coming back to.

The .300 RUM is the LAST thing I'd consider hunting with. I like a caliber with flexibility and options, and I can think of at least a dozen calibers other than the ones listed that I'd choose ahead of any RUM you could put in front of me.

Caribouman
Member # 15538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caribouman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've hunted with a : .270 , 30-06 , .270 Weatherby Mag, and the new 300 wsm. This is my opinion.I would not go back to any other gun . Accuracy is up there and the choice of grains and tips let you choose what is best for your game. Not to brag but I have shot moose at 430 yds, caribou at 540 yds , and deer close range. Most with one shot! I have other guns but always pick the 300 wsm for the weight and accuracy. Make sure you buy the right optics for whatever gun you choose. Now run to the bush!
nicholas bod
Member # 14135

Welcome aboard Caribou man,Good intro, and good to see another Canadian on here.
Bobus
Member # 13965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
deer 308, turkey 12 ga, squirrel 22 or 410
Iceman1983
Member # 15560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iceman1983     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have most of the calibers that you mention with the exception of the 300wsm. I hunt elk with a 308 or 3006 but I put 4-500 rounds a year through my 300RUM and if I had to choose one round it would be the 300RUM.
duckbuster15
Member # 15786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duckbuster15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like my 30-06. Doesn't have much recoil, a good all around gun. You could kill yotes and bear with it too. Just my opinion.
JimFromTN
Member # 15727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimFromTN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
300 win mag is my choice. I have one so I am biased. If you reload, you can load anything from a 115gr for varments to 220gr for large game like bear and moose. As for factory loads, you won't find less than 150gr bullets which I think are perfect for whitetail. Its also probably the easier to find in stores of the 3 300 magnum cals that are listed.
270 is god
Member # 15653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 270 is god     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like 270. Win shoots flat comes in 90-180 grains can take down big game 270 wsm i've heard has been used for safari i currently own both
bluegillbob
Member # 5475

Icon 7 posted      Profile for bluegillbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.270 a little on the light side for grizzlies...need more gun!

--------------------
Robert

nicholas bod
Member # 14135

Safari as I can see, 270 is Good; That cal is only allowed for small thin deer sized game in Africa.
AZcoyotehunter
Member # 15735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZcoyotehunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go with either the 300 win mag or the 30-06. The 30-06 is an extermly versital cartrige that can be loaded down to a 110gr for varmints and up to like a 200gr bullet for larger game.
Devil Buck
Member # 7121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devil Buck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Q, what the diff tween 300, winmag, wsm, and the rem ultra mag.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Bass Pro 1Source