Outdoor Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Outdoor Forums   » Fishing Forums   » General Fishing   » Leader for Northern Pike

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Leader for Northern Pike
JBogs
Member # 16961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What leader is best used for large Northern Pike?
Billy Bob
Member # 8025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a hard question to answer without much more info because I don't know what kind of fishing approach you will be using to catch a northern.

I have caught many large pike on jigs while fishing for walleye using only 4-6 lb test line and no leader. However, if you are specifically targeting very large pike by trolling or casting large baits a leader should be considered. Years ago steel leaders up to 18" were used but now most serious anglers use 30 lb test fluorocarbon leaders.

Here's a nice pike I caught a couple of weeks ago while fishing the French River with my son's. Again walleye was the targeted fish and I was jigging black jigs on 6 lb test.
 -

Hard H2O
Member # 1875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hard H2O     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are using live bait google "quick strike rig".

I make my own like the tutorial on the In-Fisherman site.

hood2fender
Member # 16090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hood2fender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For big pike and musky I use a 12 inch steel leader. I have been looking around in stores for nylon leaders that I have seen the pros use on tv but I am yet to find them.
JBogs
Member # 16961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Billy Bob:
[QB] That's a hard question to answer without much more info because I don't know what kind of fishing approach you will be using to catch a northern.

That is nice looking Pike...Specifically I will be fishing in Northern Saskatchewan for monster Pike (hopefully). I will be using large swimbaits, Mepps No 5s, and probably some large crankbaits. I found a titanium leaders made by south bend 40lb. Are these decent leaders? They were about half the cost of the other titanium leaders I have seen online and I am a little sketched about the swivels.

Billy Bob
Member # 8025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JBogs:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Billy Bob:
[QB] That's a hard question to answer without much more info because I don't know what kind of fishing approach you will be using to catch a northern.

Specifically I will be fishing in Northern Saskatchewan for monster Pike (hopefully). I will be using large swimbaits, Mepps No 5s, and probably some large crankbaits. I found a titanium leaders made by south bend 40lb. Are these decent leaders? They were about half the cost of the other titanium leaders I have seen online and I am a little sketched about the swivels.

JBogs, in your case if your specifically targeting monster pike I would be using a good leader. I can't comment on the South Bend leaders as I have no personal experience with them. However, your line to success is only as strong as the weakest link in your terminal tackle. You seem as you are not confident in the leaders and or the swivels they came with. If that is true why not just make up your own leaders by purchasing some heavy Fluorocarbon line and use quality ball bearing swivels with Berkley cross lock snaps. This way you can custom make them in lengths for either trolling or casting.

Good Luck and post some of those monster pike pictures when you get some.

Bob

Marty
Member # 1546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I've never used fluorocarbon, so can't comment on it. But I wouldn't trust any nylon or filament of other materials and would use metal only.

I've caught pike on 1/16 oz. jigs but have been bitten off on every kind of lure, including spinnerbaits.

nicholas bod
Member # 14135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nicholas bod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have caught a lot of pike with steel leaders, doesn't matter how long or what color. And I have lost a lot of good sized pike cause I didn't have them on.(forgot to bring them)
When pike are hungry they will strike almost anything, and if followed through correctly, they strike for the head of the bait (lure).
Thats why a leader is so important for pike. A big one will shear off the line in about 5 or 6 seconds if they hit the front of your lure and get teeth on the line, and that makes me [Mad]

As long as you buy decent quality leaders, I don't think it matters if it's floro's or steel. It's just important to have them. [Wink]
Good luck in Saskwatchland JBogs.
Do post some pic's of the big beasts if you can... [Razz]

Posts: 1504 | From: Southwestern Ontario Canada.  |  IP: Logged
northernpikefishing
Member # 18826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northernpikefishing         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to recommend the fluorocarbon leaders as well. I cannot prove it, but I seem to get more strikes with the leader. Northern Pike are not picky, but to me a better presentation for any fish is good practice.

Good luck

Northern Pike Fishing

cliffjumper
Member # 15107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cliffjumper         Edit/Delete Post 
Jbogs, are those titanium leaders single strand?.

They have a great flex & strength until they accidentally get bent over double, and can snap. Steel might kink, but won't snap.

I have the hardest time not going with 30# + PP,, TuffLine, Stealth or FireLine in smoke or green.

This stuff has strength right up to the last strand and breaks slowly, where monos, meaning any single filament of plastic-type material, once it's nicked can quickly separate. It's pretty simple to tie on the spot, or pre-tie several leaders to have ready to go... or use braided steel.

If you're still thinking flouro or mono, I'll just say last weekend, I was cliff-casting in an area with barnacles, mussels and rocks so sharp & jagged you could use one to fillet a cod.

We were using BuzzBombs, the spinning metal diamond style drift-jig lures you tie up by passing your leader through the center of the jig, tie the hook & cast. So the leader I use is mono in 50# test to handle the abrasion of the metal spinning on the leader material.

My leader was getting nicked, but because we were only catching 10# fish, I left it on rather than re-tie. My mainline was 65# Stealth.

I caught a rock & couldn't un-snag, and tried to break off. I snapped an Eagle Claw 2X size 6/0 salt water octopus hook in half. I got my lure, intact leader and swivel back. It was extremely hard to break-off. I honestly don't think any fish under 200# could have broken-off, and the line was abraded & nicked before the snag.

The mono was TripleFish Perlon clear in 50# test. This is about the toughest mono I've used from 12# to 100# test. It's a good casting line and doesn't stretch-out like many other monos.

I use and like the TripleFish monos a lot from 12#-100# in perlon, and lighter weights in X-Rated, and Spinning Rx, which aren't as tough.

On that trip to Northern Saskatchewan... Take cans of bug spray... eh!

Cheers & good Luck

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Bass Pro 1Source