Outdoor Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Outdoor Forums   » Fishing Forums   » Bass Fishing   » pond master(fishing boats for ponds) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: pond master(fishing boats for ponds)
bassboy77
Member # 4544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bassboy77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do you guys think that there worth the money?im thinkin about savin up for one but im not sure if there worth the money.

--------------------
ITS NOT A PASSION...ITS AN OBSESSION.

bassboy77
Member # 4544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bassboy77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
o and they have them in the BPS magazine if you dont know what they are.

--------------------

slow-rollin
Member # 5942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slow-rollin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one something simular to what you are talking about. Its nice to have but does have one major flaw. They are so light the smallest breeze will sending you zooming across the water. Other than that I like them. I recomend changing the seats though, go with some padding! And as far as trolling motors, I used a 30lb hand control. I felt like anything more was to much motor for it.
bigpapajim
Member # 5897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigpapajim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a fully loaded bantam 3x basstracker old school. I agree it moves with the wind, But nothing an 8 pound mushroom anchor can't hold. It is way more comfortable than a canoe, and stable for that matter. You can get into the tiniest nook and cranies with this thing which makes it all worth while. Granted it is no speedboat, and yes I also have a 30 pound thrust that gets the job done all day.
bassboy
Member # 6144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bassboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with bigpapa on this one. I've been fishing a couple of times in buddies' small boats like the pondhoppers, and I love them. With a trolling motor and small anchor, you're set up (wind is not a factor)! I think they're easier to maneuver than larger rigs, and they're so portable. You can fish places others with big rigs can't even think about getting into.

Just don't take too many rods with you in such a small boat--learned that the hard way when one of my 6 rods ended up in the drink a couple of weeks ago!

Spend the money, you'll be glad you did!

bb

--------------------
bassboy

It's not how you hold your rod...
It's how you wiggle your worm....

holderp
Member # 6254

Icon 14 posted      Profile for holderp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one last year, a 9footer. I absolutly love it!!! I agree with the deal with the wind. I have a 28lb trolling motor in the back and will mount it up front this year when I have the head turned around. Very stable. I just throw it in the back of the pickup and are ready to go.

I haven't regretted mine and I doubt you will either.

okiebass'n
Member # 1537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okiebass'n     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have owned 3 pond jumper boats and i love them. the only problem i ever had was the wind but all you have to do is make a rudder or buy one. easy to make and with it down you wont get blown all over the place and it tracks straight not sideways like without one.

--------------------
practice makes the master..

Deadwood
Member # 4711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deadwood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My buddy has a small plastic canoe. We've 'bassified' it the best we can. We made a wooden rack that allows us to attach a 30lbs. Minn-Kota to the back end. That thing hauls tail on full...err....throttle. He also bought some seat-like things that foldup. It's still a bit uncomfortable to fish out of and it feels like you're sitting on the water. We have twist to cast behind us and we can't stand up at all. The worst part is carrying it to the water's edge. But its better than shore fishing especially the pond we use it at where there's laydowns inaccessable to shore fishing. The best part is no other boats use this pond, so the big hawgs at the laydowns are all ours!!!
Raul
Member # 5256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For that ammount of $$$$, I would rather buy a jonboat.
tiki dude
Member # 4998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiki dude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fished out of a john boat for 3 years it made me a great fisherman never had a problem with it bought it used for hundred bucks. ps had to bring two anchors!! the wind drove me crazy.
tiki dude
Member # 4998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiki dude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ps upgraded to a skeeter [Eek!] [Eek!]
bassboy77
Member # 4544

thanks guys ill probably buy one then.one more question tho.can you stand up in them and move around?

--------------------

nj basshound
Member # 6295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nj basshound     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a basstender 10.2 and it is the best! It comes with an aererated livewell, fuse electrics, it is great. I know a guy in NY who sells them cheap. The wind is sometimes a problem but the ease of use is perfect. Fits right into the back of a pick-up and can be launced by your self. I take the front seat out and fish from the front platform when i am by myself. I have a 50# minn kota on it and I can haul some bass.
slow-rollin
Member # 5942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slow-rollin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can stand in them if you are alone and take one seat out. Check out the Pond Prowlers also. Thats what I had. They are rated for small out boards. Mine was 8ft I think and it was rated for a 3 HP.

50lbs! You are hauling bass! The 30 I had on mine left a good wake behind me.

crazydavy2000
Member # 6152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazydavy2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could kick myself for not buying the one I saw at wally world last fall on clearance for $200. Don't remember the brand but it was the plain jane ones that normally run $450. I do like the KL industries PRO 120 better I think, has a casting deck and livewell...but its a big chunk of money for it.

--------------------
Just Another Crappie Day In Paradise!

Pondhopper
Member # 2381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondhopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 10'6" BassHound and I love the thing. I did buy a used jet ski trailer to haul and store it on but one man can handle it by himself. The wind problem can be easily solved by making a sea anchor; just take a five gallon bucket and drill about 6 - 3/8" holes in the bottom. Drop that thing behind you and it's like applying the brakes! I also use the bucket to store my anchors.
You won't do a lot of walking around in it but when I am by myself I stand more than I sit. I am running a 36lb. Minkota and it takes me where I want to go all day long.
Just use some sense and and remember it ain't no Skeeter! [Big Grin]

ChuyDawg
Member # 6242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuyDawg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 1994 Coleman Crawdad...
11' by 4' I have not used it yet but plan on taking her out on Friday...
I seems very stable and I also heard that the wind does push you around...
That is what anchors are made for though...

--------------------
Tight Lines, Bent Rods, & Screaming Reels...

bassteen22
Member # 6401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bassteen22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
are they sturdy enoough to bring in a creek or lake and how much does a cheap one cost

--------------------
good day of fishing is when the fish outway the bait

ChuyDawg
Member # 6242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuyDawg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked on the internet and bought my boat for $50...

--------------------
Tight Lines, Bent Rods, & Screaming Reels...

Duster
Member # 4350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Crawdad. It came with plastic flat seats. I made a baseplate, drilled a 2" hole throught them and put the swivel seats with cusions and backs on pedestals that can be raised. Ah forget it, I'll take a pic and post it. You gotta see this, the seats changed every thing for an all day outing.

Until I get the picture posted you can see some idea of what I did in these pics:
http://members.fishingworks.com/Duster/photos.cfm

tommy79innc
Member # 11574

Icon 6 posted      Profile for tommy79innc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea they are worth the money.I have a bass tracker bantam 3x i've put on a 3.5hp gas motor on mine with a 36lbs trust troll motor in front I git around the lakes good.you would not believe the waves this thing will handal.I think it handals very well i,ve yet to have a drink fall when them bigger boats come flyin past me sendin them big wave.I'm very happy with my boat!!
tommy79innc
Member # 11574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommy79innc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh yea & mine is 8ft 11in long. yes you can move around it,the flat bottom helps the stabalness. yes i fished in a river almost all last year had no problem,just make sure you have a strong enough motor to pull you against the cerent! BUY IT YOU WONT BE SORRY!!
codyf
Member # 11536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codyf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have an 8 foot one with a customized trailor and a 46 lb minkota i love it im only 16 so i didnt have much money but i put the whole thing togethor for around $700 and it is stable which i love because i can stand up and flip but can also cast like a normal boat i use mine for lakes and rivers mainly.
K-Dog.
Member # 9548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K-Dog.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha at my great aunts uncle house got a big pond i usually use the paddle boat [Big Grin] i love that thing just paddle around fish with spinnerbait i blow them up.
Oklahoma Pond Hopper
Member # 9700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oklahoma Pond Hopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that those "scamps" that are sub 10 feet are way too small for 2 people and gear.

17' canoe or 14' jon boat for the win!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Bass Pro 1Source