Outdoor Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Outdoor Forums   » Fishing Forums   » Bass Fishing   » Best Spincast reel?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Spincast reel?
chris0561
Member # 45819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris0561     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to stock up this winter on fishing gear for this summer..

i was wondering what would be the Best Spincast reel to use?

i use them in places with thick bush and trees easily getting snagged and etc. and open face and bait casters don't work well for me in those area's and that's where the fish are! I was Also wondering what the best weedless lures and stuff was as well. I Fish in Maine i usually use 8-10LB test. The fish are normally 1-7 LB 7 being huge and not very often. my normal good catch is around 3LB. the Average fish is Bass or pickerel and on occasion trout and Salmon. Thanks Chris

roadwarrior
Member # 10846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roadwarrior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zebco Omega
chris0561
Member # 45819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris0561     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks that's what i have been looking which model you think?
Fisherman94
Member # 17331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fisherman94     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zebco omega is probably the best.

But you can't post about a spincast reel here without hearing how anything a spincast can do a spinning or baitcast reel can do a million times better. If I were you, I'd learn how to throw a baitcaster. you'll have better feel, longer casts and it will be easier on line.

chris0561
Member # 45819

What are some of the best weedless Bass lures? i bought some 10$ ones that sucked. got snagged on weeds and lilly pads.

i tryed bait caster and i didn't like it all. i bought a abu Garcia. and i thought it sucked was fine for open lake fishing but when i took it into the smaller area's it was just snag and a nightmare.

chris0561
Member # 45819

i let a friend use it and he loved it so i sold it to him lol
roadwarrior
Member # 10846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roadwarrior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spincast reels are for children and people that "fish" for anything that bites,
once or twice a year. My fishing partner guides part time which is the only
reason he has them. I fish his Omega occasionally when we are catching bait
(skipjack) on a Sabiki Rig. These reels have held up for more than five years
without any maintenance.

If you intend to become a bass fisherman you need to learn how to use a
spinning reel, baitcaster or both. I prefer spinning for lighter presentations,
especially weightless soft plastics. For "moving lures" and heavier line,
a baitcaster is the ticket.

Carolina Rebel
Member # 2472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carolina Rebel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, if you're going to be fishing from the bank in thick areas I agree with your assessment of the baitcaster. I've used a spincast reel in these places and they're alright, ultimately though you'll probably be happier with a good spinning reel. I fish spinning reels on 5'6 to 6' rods in these situations, and they work perfectly. Would recommend a 1000 to 1500 size spinning reel, load it with 15lb braided line since you're fishing weeds, and you'll be all set.
cliffjumper
Member # 15107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cliffjumper         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't pay any attention to those slamming spincast reels. Use what you like and feel good with.

The best are the Zebco Omega... solid, great with light rigs, slow retrieve is perfect for cranking or dragging plastics. It's a strong durable reel. I think if I could do Omega over again, I'd get the black one as it's a lot lighter.

Abu 170i (red one). It's a bigger reel (140/12#), but weight is roughly the same. Better drag than Omega and I prefer the release button location for my hands. Same deal, solid, nice and strong. I prefer the star drag on this one as it's easier to adjust slightly whereas the Omega is too easy to over or under adjust.

Both are credible reels, and I prefer them to spinning reels in most situations. That said, I use baitcasting reels roughly 90-95% of the time.

One key to good spincasting is to stick with limp monos like Stren orig, Trilene XL, Excalibre & Silver Thread, Gamma co-poly. These reels also work well with good, round braids like TuffLine.

Cheers!

chris0561
Member # 45819

quote:
Originally posted by roadwarrior:
Spincast reels are for children and people that "fish" for anything that bites,
once or twice a year. My fishing partner guides part time which is the only
reason he has them. I fish his Omega occasionally when we are catching bait
(skipjack) on a Sabiki Rig. These reels have held up for more than five years
without any maintenance.

If you intend to become a bass fisherman you need to learn how to use a
spinning reel, baitcaster or both. I prefer spinning for lighter presentations,
especially weightless soft plastics. For "moving lures" and heavier line,
a baitcaster is the ticket.

I can use both but prefer spincasters. as they are more effective in the areas i fish in. bait casters are hard to use in tight spaces. and spinning reels get tangled while moving around in the brush. although i do use spinning reels on occasion. i don't usually go where its wide open area's. and not always from a boat. the lakes i fish in you cant get a good sized boat in the lake as they are so shallow and can't get launched. if you look in the pictures those lakes have a max depth of around 20-28feet and are full of rocks even in the middle or channel you can hit! i use my 12ft fiberglass skiff with a 5hp evenrude.
roadwarrior
Member # 10846

Geez...

"Don't pay any attention to those slamming spincast reels.
Use what you like and feel good with."

As I said, spinncasters are for children and people that don't fish.
Every manufacturer has abandoned the concept. These reels have
no drag feature of any significance. There is no machining, parts
are plastic or stamped aluminum. All other components are as cheap
as can possibly be made.

The reels are designed for panfish and bait. If you target fish a pound
or less, the reels are fine. If you expect to catch anything of interest,
the technology sucks!

Senior members here at Bass Pro Outdoor Forums that have stated
that these reels are just fine are doing a disservice to those asking
for advice. The reels are NOT "just fine" for anyone trying to advance
their game.

Carolina Rebel
Member # 2472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carolina Rebel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RW, there are plenty of good sized fish that have been dragged up with spincast reels that would beg to differ. I bet it eats you up when you flip through local rags and see pictures of guys with 10lb bass caught on Zebco 202s, and don't pretend you haven't seen it. Here's a good one for you: SC State Record Muskie
Spincast reels aren't as smooth or tough as modern baitcasters or spinning reels, but they'll work fine for 99% of anglers. Few people fish hard enough to kill even a cheap spincast reel in a year's time.
CJ is doing much less a disservice with his approval of spincast reels than you do with your elitist attitude. It doesn't take expensive gear to successfully catch largemouth bass, nor to have fun trying.

MUDDY
Member # 20133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUDDY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up recommending equipment a long time ago, it frequently degenerates into threads like this, and i am no expeert'
What I do object to is the exclusionary tone of this answer by RW. I like to include all who like to fish.
Manufacturers have not give up on these reels,; Zebco,Johnson, ABU and Diawa are just a few and among these are 4 new reels this year
I fish with a Disabled Vet, for whom spin casting keeps him connected with the sport he loves. Over the past few seasons I have seem him boat , many fish ( bass,pickerel,trout and catties) all over 2 lbs.Certainly no giants and we are not experts, but have our fun, in our niche on the water
I have issues with the exclusionary and elitist tone this angler takes over and over
If all the " good fishermen" have left these forums what the %$@#(* are you still doing here, busting every one Else's balls then?
People fish and bass fish for all sorts of reasons, none more valid than the next guy's . so why can't you just be polite?
I have learned the hard way, by making an *** out of myself, and have learned how to stay out of the fray , you should try and leave folks alone and if you have nothing positive to say, to new comers and recreational fisherman, then pipe down. Rage tail will seel enough lures and Sheamno will sell enough reels with out your help and bullying ways
This reply won't change anythig, but your attitude gets old and weary. I am not expert , but I am trying to learn from my errant ways and be helpful and inclusive without chasing people away .

bluegillbob
Member # 5475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluegillbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffjumper:
Don't pay any attention to those slamming spincast reels. Use what you like and feel good with.

Cheers!

Spot on my friend!

Spincast reels must work in Bass fishing...Bill Dance won tournaments with spincast outfits. [Wink]

Cheers,

Robert

--------------------
Robert

chris0561
Member # 45819

i fish pretty hard. i take trips just for fishing. i killed 3 spincast reels last season. thats why im looking for a good reel lol. i didn't like my baitcaster at all. and the spinning reel gets snagged on bushes and stuff when walking threw the brush or woods. spinning is my second option. as i do like very well.
cliffjumper
Member # 15107

OK, now I know for sure you're the real Muddy, back from vacation [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Cheers!

cliffjumper
Member # 15107

Chris, I fish for the pure pleasure of the act and the places. I'm no pro, don't carry a camera or log book, never counted how many (except once, 35 cod and I never moved my feet. I know because I take a shot to salute and thank the glory of nature with every landed fish. Normally I have a 4-oz hip flask, but forgot it that day and stopped at the store before I hit the rocks, no small bottles, only mickeys. When the bottle was empty I was shocked and stopped fishing. The only time I called a cab to get home from fishing, cost me $225. I quit taking a bottle after that, but never hit the bottom of any small flask before or since.)

When I hit the rocks, each day is different. May be grey whales wallowing around the kelp or orca chasing salmon or seals, porpoises flying around doing acrobatics in the water, or canoeing the lakes, watching bald eagles, cormorants or kingfishers and of course on nice days, the bikinis. Once in a while sweat out a couple of black bears over there on a river bank or watching salmon jumping the rapids.

So, for me, while I like good equipment whether tools, sports or other things, it's all about having a nice day and feeling good. And it's pretty rare to get skunked, but yeah, it can happen. It's more rare the day isn't good.

Have fun.

chris0561
Member # 45819

i don't carry anything but a cell and fishing gear. and where i live they don't really have taxi's.
roadwarrior
Member # 10846

quote:
Originally posted by chris0561:
i don't carry anything but a cell and fishing gear. and where i live they don't really have taxi's.

Totally meaningless...The perfect ending to this thread.

[Roll Eyes]

roadwarrior
Member # 10846

Hmm...repeat... [Eek!]
bluegillbob
Member # 5475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluegillbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffjumper:

When I hit the rocks, each day is different. May be grey whales wallowing around the kelp or orca chasing salmon or seals, porpoises flying around doing acrobatics in the water, or canoeing the lakes, watching bald eagles, cormorants or kingfishers and of course on nice days, the bikinis. Once in a while sweat out a couple of black bears over there on a river bank or watching salmon jumping the rapids.

My thoughts exactly. When I was young teen, all I wanted to do was catch fish when fishing. Nowadays, I want what I call "the full flavor"...nature doing it's thing, cool breezes, and the company of a good dog. [Smile]

Cheers,

Robert

--------------------
Robert

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Bass Pro 1Source