Outdoor Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Outdoor Forums   » Hunting Forums   » Archery   » What is a good bow? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What is a good bow?
JoshTheHunter
Member # 8155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoshTheHunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i live in florida.And next year i want to do some bow hunting and im wondering what is a good bow to get?.Im looking to spend maybe around 800 for everything.IF you got any good ideas let me know.
TimClark
Member # 7294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimClark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this your first bow? How old are you? Do you know what your draw length is? Do you know how much weight you can pull back? If you don't know these I would go to a local Archery shop that you can look up in a phone book and go there. They will fit you for draw length and weight. If you already know these things I would still go to a proshop to buy the bow. If you are looking at a beginner bow I would go with a PSE Bruin. For the arrow rest I would have a GKF TM Hunter, for a sight I would get a PSE F-16 or F-18. For a release I suggest a Junior Cobra Release. For a peep sight I would suggest the kind with rubber tubing, it will be a simple setup but it willl work very well for you as a starter bow. Also it adds up to about 350 dollars. Remember it is not the bow that shoots accurately it is the shooter.
wv-whitetail
Member # 7823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wv-whitetail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A mathews is the best all around bow on the market and its the most forgiving, a whisker biscut rest is the best for beginners and trophy ridge three pin sights are excellent they allow you to see more of the target a peep sight is all about what you like the best, the tubing is not right for everyone, as far as draw length and poundage, visit a local bow shop and they can set you up exactly what you need, you should be right around 800 dollars maybe a little more or a little less but remember when buying a bow alot of times you get what you pay for, so spend the extra dough and get something you can use for years to come
Archeryaddict
Member # 2502

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Archeryaddict     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have owned Many Bows in my life time and I can truley say that the best Highest quality bow I have ever owned or shot is the Newberrys made By Archery Pro LLC Bar NONE! Bare bow starts at500.00 Retail and goes up depending on the dealer and location. which you could easily equip the bow with the rest of the accessories you will need Including arrows, field points and broad heads under 200.00
I would Reccommend the TKO made by Golden Key
which top dollar on this rest is 49.95 which can be found for less than that. archers Choice makes some very good Sights for under 25 dollars archers choice also makes a caliper release for under 20 dollars however I reccommend the Scotts Grip.
Carbon revolution arrows are the best I have found for the price. you can get a dozen of theUltra hunters that are 001 straitness for about 50.00 and a 6 pack of Wasp boss Bullet Broad heads for under 29 dollars.
those are a few of my reccomendations
too bad you arent a lefty, cause I have a couple of New HCA bows I need to sell cheap and they are fully loaded.

JoshTheHunter
Member # 8155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoshTheHunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this your first bow?
yes

How old are you?
im 17 and will be 18 in may

Do you know what your draw length is?
No

Do you know how much weight you can pull back?
no

I plan on going to Archery shop and the place that teachsyou how to shoot a bow.I got about a year to learn how to shoot one.I really want to do it.

TimClark
Member # 7294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimClark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well since this is your first bow, I wouldn't buy a Mathews or a Newberry(no Offense AA). Because it is your first bow you should get a bow that is less expensive than 500 dollars, that is for a barebow. I say this because you may not be able to pull 60 lbs so you should start off at around 35 lbs and then work your way up. I have a PSE Bruin and I am glad I didn't get an expensive bow because I am going to be moving up to hte 50 lb limbs soon.
JoshTheHunter
Member # 8155

This may sound like a dumb question but.How do you know how much you can pull back?
TimClark
Member # 7294

Well you are going to have to go to the proshop and ask them to fit you. They will help you with your draw length and they will have you try a bunch of bows. If one seems to hard to pull back and you are struggling with it then you need a lower poundage. A good way to test this is to hold the bow straight out and try to draw back, if you are struggling with it or can't pull it back you need a lower weight. If you are pointing the bow up or down while drawing back that means you need a lower draw length. REMEMBER DO NOT DRY FIRE THE BOWS (releasing the bow string without an arrow on it) it will ruin the bow.
JoshTheHunter
Member # 8155

Thanks tim for the good info.And im going to have to find a bow shop around my area.I want to go to the bass proshop around it but dont have any one to take me.
Finn
Member # 3116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice. I'd probably not spend that much on my first bow. Recommend you look at the PSE line as they offer great starter sets for much less than $800. You can then spend more money when you are more comfortable with archery and know more what you like and don't.

Welcome to the forum and to bowhunting. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1525 | From: Goldsboro, NC / hunt WIS  |  IP: Logged
JoshTheHunter
Member # 8155

Thanks finn for the grate info.Im going to look into the pse.Quick question once i get the bow.What would be some good practice arrows?.
wv-whitetail
Member # 7823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wv-whitetail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK i understand what they are saying about this being your first bow and all but why would you go out and spend three or four hundred dollars on a lower level bow and then realize you need a better bow and then go out and have to purchase another one a year later, im not sure but i would say getting ready to turn eighteen you can already handle a 50 pound pull no problem, spend the money on a quality bow whether it be a mathews is up to you and crank the weight down to suit you and as you progress as a shooter, increase the poundage, you will get stronger and be able to handle more weight the more you shoot the bow, just because a bow has sixty or seventy pound limbs doesnt mean thats the poundage you have to shoot they can lower it for you at the bow shop, but regardless what you do i hope you enjoy hunting with a bow it is a great experience and alot of fun just to shoot at ranges or a target at the house GOOD LUCK
wv-whitetail
Member # 7823

Also, as far as arrows are concerned carbon express is a good quality arrow, the right one will have to be determined by your draw length and draw weight, in my opinion it is best to practice with the same arrow as you are going to hunt with this way you stay consistent, just buy a dozen and use six to practice with and six to hunt with, once again good luck and god bless, also let us know what your choice was when you decide
MoNofletch
Member # 2425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoNofletch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have shot MANY bows from every company in the past 4-5 years. I am not loyal to any brand or company so my opinion is not biased!
If you want a good starter bow that is easy to shoot try getting a bow with 7 1/2" brace heighth (distance from the string to the grip) and about 35" axle to axle (total bow lenghth cam to cam).
Here are a few I would recomend......
Reflex Excursion
PSE Nova or Bruin
Storm F-18 or F-28
Martin Prowler or Jaguar
I can set you up with a brand new '03 or '04 Storm pretty cheap. My opinion they are the best bow for the money! I shoot a Storm F-18 and a F-28e and I will say they are easy to shoot. E-mail me if you are interested ssjs678@hotmail.com --Mono

--------------------
"Aspen! I donno Loyd..the French are A-holes!" -Loyd Christmas/Harry Dunn

Team Mono!

Aj
Member # 7018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would Go with a Reflex Buckskin or Timerwolf(preferably the timberwolf)Adjustable drawlength form 27"-30" and Depending on Draw weight you can either have it 50-60lb or 60-70lbs.
yotaman80
Member # 8141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yotaman80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off who's to say which bow is " The Best Bow" one can buy? If you went into an avid hunter's home, do you think you'd see his bow, framed, sitting high on the wall ?
No, you see different animals he's taken, with (hopefully) a well placed and ethical shot from a bow that he is comfortable with and thoroughly enjoys shooting.

Josh, the bottom line is find a bow that fits comfortably in your hand, that you can draw back without straining and has a good sized valley(let-off), that won't kill your arm if you creep a little bit. Don't let one person's opinion skew you in any one direction. With $800 at your disposal you can get a wonderful set up for your first bow. I work at a shop and I can tell you, the guys who are successful aren't the one's with $1000 dollar bows. The successful hunters practice, in fair weather days, in the wind and cold, from elevated positions imitating their stand, wearing full camo, take the time to tune their broadheads and their rig -$100 or $1500. The more expensive bows do it (usually) faster, smoother, and quieter ... that's all, b/c they are usually made better. It's like this, what was your first car.. a celebrity or a corvette ?

Like MONO said, look for a more forgiving bow..
long brace height and axle to axle. But also be careful longer bows are tighter in a stand, esp if you're not use to the confines of certain tree stands. If you're going to be on the ground it's no matter. Also, more forgiving is usually at odds with speed. Speed is by no means everything, but it can help you if you misjudge distance or are a little off with your shot. IBO speeds are misleading, just to start take off approx. 10 fps for every inch you are shorter than a 30" draw and even more for peep, silencers, kisser, etc.

A $300-$400 bow will allow you to add on nice accessories. Check out the Parker Hunter Mag($330, 24"-32") Reflex Grizzly or Excursion (250-300, 25-27 or 27-30), Reflex Buckskin ($350, 27-30), Pearson Spoiler ($350, 24-31). I'm not going to get into the bows too much...'05 is almost here and the manufacturers have some awesome new stuff coming out. Check out the whisker biscuit for your first rest. I prefer drop aways, but the biscuit is an excellent choice for a new bowhunter. Also, look into using a string loop.

Good luck !
semper fi

TimClark
Member # 7294

I agree totally with Mono I TOTALLY forgot about the Storms, they are GREAT bows, and aren't too expensive, I would defenitely go with the Storm. WW-Just because he is turning 18 doesn't mean he can pull a lot of weight, my cousin who is very athletic and is 28 right now can't even pull back 37 lbs of draw weight. So just because he is 18 deosn't mean he can draw a lot of weight.
icmeinu
Member # 8121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icmeinu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read all the posts here and thought I'd add my two cents. I by no means can offer proffesional advice or anything like that. But I can say for myself, I didn't start out with an expensive bow either. I bought a used PSE Gamesport on Ebay. Fitted it with a Whisker Bisquit, 3 pin fiber optic sight, stabilizer, wrist sling, and I use a mechanical release.

Eventually I will treat myself to a new outfit, but for now the set up that I have works fine for me. I'm just glad to be able to participate. The thing that I saw after reading the posts that makes the most sense, is to check some out and see what feels best.

I'll share this story with you. I do a fair amount of fishing. I have a fishing buddy who swears that buying the most expensive gear will catch you the most fish. We've discussed this on many occasions. I'll buy decent enough gear to get the job done, and year after year with my mediocre equipment, I catch just as much fish as he does.

He is always saying "Man you better spend some money and get you some real gear." And I always say, "Why this stuff works fine, year after year."

Shop around to find what you like is all I'm saying, don't jump on the first train rollin'

Most of all "Have Fun"

MoNofletch
Member # 2425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoNofletch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, fellas, Don't get me wrong! I wasn't saying Storm is "The Best bow ever built!" I was offering the guy a GREAT bow at an even better price! I can get them at a REALLY fair price--- I just figured he could spend entry level money and get a top of the line bow---that's all!
Either way you go just shoot a bunch of bows before you buy! You'll be sorry if you don't!!

--------------------

Team Mono!

yotaman80
Member # 8141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yotaman80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't intend to offend anyone, It just sucks seeing people, esp. new archers get hung up on
"what my buddy" shoots or said or whatever. I can't understand how so many guys are willing to fork over hundreds of dollars, all for something that most of them know nothing about or about the related components, without researching/ testing other options. I just believe knowledge is power, from the initial purchase, to knowing your bow, all the way to the area one hunts. Gaining that knowledge and sharing it with others is what makes archery awesome. I've learned a little and have a LOT more to learn.
I'm rambling...bottom line is I love archery just like everyone else here.

Finn
Member # 3116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you can see, many opinions.

Shoot a bunch of bows . Don't buy a certain bow because someone else likes it. Buy the one that feels the best to you.

I went out this fall to buy a Bowtech based on a good friend's recommendation. Ended up with a Hoyt because it just felt better to me than all the rest.

Posts: 1525 | From: Goldsboro, NC / hunt WIS  |  IP: Logged
1star*
Member # 5365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1star*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If i as you i would go for PSE and look at the supra and also check out bowtech because there grips are some of the best i like my extreme solo but now instead of that they make an extreme vft. so just try em all and have fun.
Toad
Member # 5354

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Toad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get Thee to a Pro Shop! Have someone to ask, have someone who is a trusted advisor, have a lot of bows to try.

Have someone to blame! ;-)

Great Article yotaman80.

That is my 2 cents.

JoshTheHunter
Member # 8155

Thank you for all your help.I will test them all out and see what best works for me.And pratic once i get it.
MoNofletch
Member # 2425

Josh,
Cjeck out the bow I have for sale! It is a heck of a deal on a GREAT shooting bow! This one retailed for $499 and with the extras much more!
Just a thought.....maybe you could save some $$$$!!--Mono

--------------------

Team Mono!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Bass Pro 1Source