Outdoor Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Outdoor Forums   » Hunting Forums   » Big Game   » Zeiss vs Leupold?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zeiss vs Leupold?
dabbler
Member # 4875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dabbler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe your scope is as important or perhaps even more important than your gun. Having said that, I'm in the market for a fairly high dollar scope. LOW LIGHT performance is what I'm looking for. I have an older VX III and love it. The new VX III are supposed to be even better in low light conditions and now have illuminated reticles. I've also heard that Zeiss scopes have no equal even with Leupold. I don't know anyone who have one or who has been around them. Has anyone had any experience with Zeiss. Are they worth the extra money?
bluegillbob
Member # 5475

Icon 7 posted      Profile for bluegillbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy! In the market for a high dollar scope? Check out Swarovski...they are more expensive than Zeiss. I have looked through some Swarovskis...and they are wonderful optics! A Swarovski will start about $1000, and go up from there.

The old saying "you get what you pay for" is so very true when it comes to optics. There is a reason why European optics are top quality: is is acceptable in many parts of Europe to hunt during the moonlight.

If you can afford a high quality European riflescope, go for it!

--------------------
Robert

wigeonmeister
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wigeonmeister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can afford it and you're considering a Zeiss scope, I say go for it.

Don't get me wrong with what I am about to say. I really like Leupold scopes alot. They are a fine quality scope, and you cannot feel bad about owning a rifle with a Leupold sitting atop it.

However, I am thinking of replacing the scope on my .300 win mag BPR, and it will likely be a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 which I will settle on.

That said, I ended up getting a Swarovski scope for that fancy dan BAR High Grade I bought last year, and I will admit that it holds a tight grouping like nothing else I have ever used. It is quite a bit more of a high dollar scope, though.

And yes, you are right. The quality of the scope is every bit as important a factor as the quality of the firearm, if not more.

338winmag
Member # 4469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 338winmag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Ziess scope and Leupold, and no doubt... Ziess
is worth the extra money.
If you thinking about buying a Ziess Conquest then
I don't know if I would recomend Ziess or Leupold.
If you thinking about buying Ziess Diavari V or Z
then I say go for it.
I mean quality of Leupold and Conquest is equal.

I have seen many scopes test in magazine during
last 25 years, and always Ziess doing it a bit
better in those test then Swarovski do.

--------------------
Holy crap

dabbler
Member # 4875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dabbler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I went into the shop to buy a scope and after looking through the scopes I decided that for my needs and money that the Kahles 3.5 - 10X with a 50 mm obj and TDS-plex was the best for me. Not many around here hunt with Kahles, but I was impressed with the quality and brightness of the scope. Slightly more costly than leupold but not as much as Swarovski.
wigeonmeister
Member # 847

Icon 14 posted      Profile for wigeonmeister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good choice.

Kahles is actually owned by Swarovski now. I looked at a few of them before I bought the Swarovski. I bought it mainly because Kahles and Swarovski scopes around here are about the same price. Obviously, that is something which varies with retailers and areas, because on my recent trip to the lower-48, the prices were different depending on where you shopped.

Doublet
Member # 3029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doublet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have optics from Zeiss, a doctor= ZeissJena(8x 56) ,Swarovski (6x 42) and a Leupold 3-10x50 with maintube form 30 mm.

What is the best ??????????????

I do not know and I think manny people do not know.

Here we call the Leupold the USA Zeiss !!!!!.

I would say if you want to buy a good scope choise a Leupold, Zeiss , Swarovski or SmidtandBender.
Maybe on a small rifle an other brand but if you are a serious hunt take one of the big FOUR
[Smile] [Smile]

Greeting form Holland

Doublet

Bytheway.

The winchester 22-250 I bought a few weeks ago is toped with a Tasco Customshop (8-40x56 benchrest). Accourding to the serveral intersite it must be good for a .50.
What to do sell it ?!?!
I think sooner or later i buy a other scope on it [Frown]

--------------------
No hunting no wildlife

My wife : Yes
My dog : Maybe
My Gun : Never

Pleasure on hunting is not pleasure on killing

"It is a gift to be a hunter "

wigeonmeister
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wigeonmeister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10X44 scope for my BPR .300 win mag. As soon as I get it out to the range a few times and then into the woods, I'll let you know what I think of it.

I chose the Zeiss because I liked the reticle, clarity and brightness better.

alsatian
Member # 6584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alsatian         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a point at which more money spent on a measurably better telescopic sight does not return any additional functionality as a hunting instrument. My telescopic sight allows me to see and target game when it is darker than I can safely identify my game. I don't see how more light transmission or greater brightness can benefit me. The image is crisp and clean. What more can you ask of optics?

In the mechanics, you want robust reliability that won't let you down on an expensive hunt that you have planned for months and driven/flown half-way across the country and taken off weeks from your job to enjoy. You want the scope to tolerate recoil and getting slammed up against a tree, hopefully in a scabbard, by an ornery horse.

If something DOES break, you want to have good service and workmanship provided by the manufacturer.

It seems like there are several scopes that qualify along these lines. I have and like Leupolds (VariX IIIs), but acknowledge that there are scopes both more expensive and less expensive that could serve me as well. I have never felt that these scopes disadvantaged me in any way while hunting. I never felt a lack of confidence that they might not take a reasonable beating and keep working as expected.

wigeonmeister
Member # 847

Dabbler,

Now that you have your Kahles out of the store and no doubt installed on your rifle, how bright does it look?

The Zeiss I just bought is as bright and clear as anything I have, including that Swarovski I am so proud of. I'll reserve judgement on how well it performs until I get it out on the range and on a few hunts.

Doublet
Member # 3029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doublet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you will have much pleasure of the European Scope.
I like to see that you do with it in the next period.

Greetings from Holland

Doublet

--------------------
No hunting no wildlife

My wife : Yes
My dog : Maybe
My Gun : Never

Pleasure on hunting is not pleasure on killing

"It is a gift to be a hunter "

dabbler
Member # 4875

I love the Kahles! Very bright! The TDS reticle is awesome. I'm dead on at 200 yds. and simply pull up to the 300 yds reticle and can hit a 8 inch target everytime. My range doesn't have targets over 300 yds., so I'll have to set up my own targets to test the 400 and 500 reticle, but I'm assuming they will be on target as well. Sight in was simple, and using factory provided drop/velocity charts you are able to figure out each reticle and the distance it represents with that bullet weight. Also has a range finding capability, but I think it may be hard to do the math that it requires when the pressure is on but we'll see.

I think the Kahles is a tad brighter and my old Leupold VariX III. Overall, I'm very happy with it and can't wait for opening day!!!

wigeonmeister
Member # 847

Day one at the range with the Zeiss scope on my BPR went rather well. Really tight groups @ 100 yards.

Day 2 will be Sunday afternoon.

When I manage to get it fine-tuned, it will be absolutely awesome, and I actually enjoy shooting it more than my BAR/Swarovski setup. Quite frankly, my eyesight will require a lot of adjustment before I can get used to how bright this scope is, and the brightness combined with the heavy duplex reticle is heads and shoulders above anything else I have.

wigeonmeister
Member # 847

Day 2 was awesome. The Zeiss scope holds better than any scope I have ever had, at least to this point.

Aside from a couple of flinches in which I knew my shots would be off, the shot groups were almost all connected. When I would reset my apertures, I would shoot 2-3 shot groups, and each time the shot groups were tight.

Nils
Member # 7210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nils     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Germany almost everyone who have the money buys a Zeiss. I and my dad use Zeiss, too, and they are the best. My dad once bought a Swarovski for his 300 win mag to go hunting at night, and after some weeks he exchanged it for a Zeiss.
When you need the scope for night or when dusk begins to fall, the Zeiss is better!

wigeonmeister
Member # 847

Folks, I gotta tell you. I went to the same shop I bought the Zeiss from Saturday afternoon. The salesman showed me one of the new Leupold European 30mm scopes.

The optics were among the very best I have seen, and I really love the reticle on it.

I will keep using Zeiss scopes, but if I were dead set on a Leupold, the Euro 30 mm scope would be the one I'd get.

Racklover
Member # 7256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Racklover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 Zeiss scopes and like them a lot...
FourEyes45
Member # 6461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FourEyes45     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gang.
I have both a Swarovski and Leupold, and the Is King in low light, no comparison. This is where you can really tell a differance. Just before daylight or at sunset. I would buy a cheap rife and spend the money on Swarovske. Good Shooting, Great Hunting. Be Safe.
Walter

--------------------
Be Safe-Good Fishing

SAE7mmSTW
Member # 2906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAE7mmSTW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try looking at Nght Force scopes. I Have an NXS 3.5x15x56mm with a 30mmtube. The light gathering is awesome!!!!!
D Boone
Member # 5065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nightforce = Big, heavy, tactical scopes that start at $1200.

Leupold Vari-X III 30mm with M3 turrets only run about $750.

338winmag
Member # 4469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 338winmag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by wigeonmeister:
Folks, I gotta tell you. I went to the same shop I bought the Zeiss from Saturday afternoon. The salesman showed me one of the new Leupold European 30mm scopes.

The optics were among the very best I have seen, and I really love the reticle on it.

I will keep using Zeiss scopes, but if I were dead set on a Leupold, the Euro 30 mm scope would be the one I'd get.

What can a 30 mm tube on a scope do, as a 25 mm can't do ?
You can adjust it more to the side, and up/down on a
30mm scope, but apart from that its no big difference between those two.

--------------------
Holy crap

huntaholic123
Member # 5951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntaholic123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have all leupolds and they work great! [Big Grin]

--------------------
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT.... ITS A WAY OF LIFE!!!

wigeonmeister
Member # 847

Side by side, the Leupold Euro 30mm just had much more clear optics than the standard 1" Leupold did. It may not do anything which a 1" won't do, but for about the same money as what I'd be likely to spend on a nice scope, I usually go for the clear optics. For someone who has less than perfect eyesight to begin with, that is important.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Bass Pro 1Source